Friday, January 28, 2005

A Charmingly Rustic Book

First week of school has been good. All my courses bar one are interesting. Some of them I'd even call fun. In fact, the supply chain class was so fun, I actually considered taking it just to learn and not for credit. As Prof Orman from the Johnson school would say " What? Students who don't want credit? Just want to learn?" That's pretty much the academic version of pigs can fly. All that aside, I'm happy that my last semester here will be exciting.

Today, for the first time, I actually saw the bookstacks in Uris Library. Uris is the building with the trademark clocktower of Cornell. It is also really ancient and archaic. It was a veritable labyrinth to the level 8 stacks where I was hoping to find "The Godfather". I climbed up two flight of dark stairs, enter a small dinghy door that said access to level 7 stacks, zigzagged through the student lounge and the Tower Cafe, finally gingerly walked through a door which looked more like the backroom or kitchen of the cafe than a way to access the precious manuscripts that the library houses. I did however find a copy of the book I wanted. I was initially aghast at its condition -- the fabric on the cover was ripped and threadbare; the words on the spine were so faint I nearly missed the book. I was pleasantly surprised, however, that I really liked the rustic feel of the book when I flipped though the book. Though it has obviously gone through hunderds of pairs of hands, the pages felt soft and inviting the touch. So here it is now sitting in my bag, happily waiting to fill the dreamy scene of a good book and hot chocolate in bed.

Now this is a big thing for me. I'm usually very very very and 5 more very pedantic when it comes to books. The cover has to be pristine. No page can be dogeared. Hands has to be washed so that the side of the book doesn't get grey with use. I handwrapped all my book in clear plastic with a patience that surprises even me. So I was really surprised when this rustic little book charmed me off my feet. And I was reminded of my dreams years ago of owning a quaint little bookshop (which will probably make losses since it really can't compete in terms of selection and price)

4 comments:

e* said...

Yep... I remember how anal you were about books alright! ;)

Bookshop.. ah yes... long ago, far off days... :)

meeloop said...

Haha I'm sill pretty anal about my books. :)

vyanne said...

Didn't think much when i read this entry for the first time but now i recall, haha: you used to read books only partially opened because u love ur books to much to create a crease at the spine...yea yea, now i remember..:p

meeloop said...

Damn, now everyone knows my dirty little secret :P