Saturday, February 19, 2005

7th Annual Chili Cookout

It was fun today at the Chili Cookout. Contrary to what the name might suggest, chili con carne (which means chili with meat) is not hot at all. It could get pretty hot and is generally at least slightly spicy but even by my meagre capacity for all things spicy, it wasn't hot at all. It's kinda amusing that chili to people in south east asia is so different from what it means in America.

It was a great crush downtown where the various restaurants set up their stalls to serve their entry to the chili competition. It cost 5 bucks for 6 tickets and each ticket entitles you to a sample of chili. Somehow, after just three small servings, the chili started to expand in my tummy and about 5 hours later, I was still burping chili. *yum* We are now officially a chili converts.

Hightlights of the festival was a live band, bullriding, lasso rope-in and a tear factor competitin in which competitors ate as much of the chile peppers as they can take. I bet my dad can beat them all hands down in this competition, given that he is one of those chili-padi-munching people.

Poster
Poster seen outside the restaurants all around town

2 comments:

vyanne said...

Hee...no pics of yummy chilli dishes?
I love chilli myself, wonder how some ppl can eat nasi lemak without sambal, haha.
So those chilli stuff made u feel all warm and fuzzy inside? I think eating chilli during winter is really ingenious, hee :)

meeloop said...

Pictures of food look pretty gross leh. That's why I've stopped taking those pics :P