Sunday, February 27, 2005

Personal Finance

One of my recent goals is to learn enough to start investing once I work. I guess if I had been interested at the beginning of the semester I could have taken a portfolio class instead of the classes I'm doing now. Well, if that was the case, I would have had to sacrifice some of the classes I like especially since I'm really overloaded right now. So I guess I will have to make do with self-help books and doing readings in my spare time.

Somehow, I feel a little silly for wanting to know. Well, not exactly silly but maybe somewhat out of place because people I know are not really concerned with these things. At least not yet. On the other hand, there are kids out there who are investing in stocks and starting new businesses, all this while in university. I don't know if it's a really smart decision since I've read at least one blog where such a person's school work is suffering enough to be considered borderline. By borderline, I'm guessing it's close to failing. But I guess the point is, looking at these people, some as young as 22, taking charge of their own finances, I feel a slight twinge of envy.

Also, being devoid of financial and investment is probably going to cost me in the future in terms of either brokerage fees (since I would have to get a full-service ones) or bad decisions (because I don't know any better). The thing about brokers/ financial planners or whatever you call them nowadays is that I know they are usually no smarter than me. They might also provide me with advice that is misguided or worse, there might be some vested interests (i.e commissions) involved. And as I've always said, if I don't have time to do it now, I never will.

With that, I will try to hunt down some of these readings like A Random Walk Down Wall Street, by Burton Malkiel. Cheers to all my barrage of silly new resolutions.
"A blindfolded monkey throwing darts at a newspaper's financial pages could select a portfolio that would do just as well as one carefully selected by the experts"
Burton Malkiel, author of A Random Walk Down Wall Street

2 comments:

e* said...

Nah... I don't think planning ahead and thinking about investing etc is silly at all. i think it's great! i wish i had more time to properly invest too.

vyanne said...

To me, the idea is really to have a sound savings plan first, then use the peripheral cash to invest in a diversified portfolio of financial assets n properties.

Haha, some people are too risk-averse to invest at such a young age, but thinking about investment as a financial hegde is definitely a far-sighted option, so just go for it, when u have enough information to make your choice!