Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The LongDue Update

Last Friday was my first day of work. I believe I can summarize my job with four dreary words: long hours, low pay. I don’t really like the people from HR. Most of the general staff I’ve met there are really inefficient. On the other hand, I guess that’s why they are stuck in that kind of job. If they were deserving, efficient but merely uneducated, they would have already moved on. At least we have a car now, so getting to and from work is a lot faster than it would have been.

His parents also bought a condo around their area with the intention of parking us there. Forever. (Update: The deal didn’t go through for various reasons. So we are stuck in the same condo. Forever!!! Not.) Maybe they are already imagining cute little unborn grandchildren running around them screaming "Grandma" and "Grandpa" (Or maybe even "Gramps!"). I shudder to think of it. So essentially, we have been bribed to stay close to them even though our work place is really at the other end of the island and it would have been so much economical to get a place there.

I guess I should be happy that I’m marrying into a ‘good’ life. But I’m not. Some people might dream of marrying a rich prince/ heir/ person, stay at a condo instead of a crummy HDB and drive cars instead of slumming it on public transport ( we still take buses when there is a direct bus to our destination. Parking is troublesome). I guess I’ve probably done my fair share of dreaming of marrying some rich guy and living the life of a tai tai. I really can’t remember. Right now, that just seems so absurd, not to mention boring. After all, I didn’t go through all those years of education so I can sit around diligently being unproductive.

I don’t know if this is a result of being in love, but I find myself easily contented with simple things. Like being together. Like a cow.
__________________________________________________________

No comments: