Wednesday, August 25, 2004

New York City, here I come... again

There's one city I can't seem to get enough of and it's New York City. It helps that it's the biggest city close by. (By close by I mean 5 hrs by bus) Perhaps it's because of Broadway. After 3 or 4 trips to the city, I find myself drawn back The last few trips, I've been staying at cheap hotel/hostels like the Y (YMCA Vanderbilt) and Amsterdam Inn. This time, inspired by what I've read regarding Priceline bids, I've decided to stay at New Jersey. And for $55 a night, we are staying at the classy Hyatt Regency! (whoo-hoo) It's on the Hudson river and right across Manhattan. Supposedly all rooms there have some view of the Big Apple. Considering I would have had to pay $75 for a bunkbed at YMCA (yes, totally outrageous) where the cleaning ladies barge into the room w/o so much a by your leave in the morning, I'd say this is a great deal! Seriously, I was actually scolded by the cleaning lady for not putting out a do not disturb sign (we were both somewhat half dressed which may be why she was distressed).

So now, I'm just going to start planning on what to do, eat, see when we get there. Despite the fact that this short trip is like more than a month a way!!! Any suggestions on what broadway show to watch? I've watched Rent so far... yeah wanted to watch something all the other time but the TKTS booths were stupidly crowded and I was not willing to dole out $70 each to watch a show. Unfortunately, they no longer have Saigon nor Les Miz. Don't particularly feel like watching Mama Mia! nor Phantom. Not sure if darling would like Chicago. Prob won't want Beauty and the Beast or Lion King... The Producer sounds kinda nice. But I thought I'd get some recommendations from my theartre buff friends :)

Well, besides Broadway, I'm really there for the food. Maybe I'll visit Les Halles where my favorite celebrity chef, Anthony Bordain works (or used to work at least) and I'm definitely going to Barney Greengrass for nova eggs and sturgeon platter (as recommended by Anthony on his show, Chef's Tour(?)) Then there's that yummy Cantonese dim-sum place in Chinatown. What else.... I'll have another month more to think about that :)

One other thing that is attracting me are the sample sales, a place where you can designer duds for a steal. I'm not really into designer stuff per se but if there are some quality clothing for cheap, you bet your salt I'd want to be there :) I bought my very first designer dress at one (It was an Anna Sui) I'm really not big on branded stuff but some of them are undeniably pretty...*looks down and shuffles feet* I'll just take it as an occasional treat. After all, there won't be such things as sample sales when I start work in Singapore. :P

3 comments:

vyanne said...

Haha..whenever NY is mentioned, i would think of the gals from Sex n the City strutting in designer clothes and shoes down the streets and having a sinfully good time! I bet u and Johnny will do too!

meeloop said...

yeah if only I were filthy rich :P

Then again, some designer clothes really look god-awful... maybe it's like one of those acquired tastes. Which kinda reminds me of the very yummy pate I had at Paulanter (?) last time. Kinda like high class luncheon meat... The chef would prob murder me if he hears this...

e* said...

ARRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm so jealous!!!

*sniffs* *sniffs* NYC....

i think musical prices are cheaper in London yo. (hint hint) haha. anyway, enjoy yourself!