Thursday, August 28, 2008

An Affair with Work

I liken my relationship with my company to a marriage. I've been thinking of leaving when the end date arrives but a niggling part of my mind questions, should I really leave at the first sight of things not going my way? It seems like I'm running away from the problem. Should I then stay and try to change the environment instead?

From a personal viewpoint, I've enjoyed my work here. I like working with my current boss and I've picked up good working ethics. But I've been here for too long. I'm no longer learning anything new. I should have been moved to another department to grow other aspects of my professional skills but the company has deprived me the priviledges that others have been granted.

I told myself before I ever got into any relationship that I would never put up with abuse. Especially physical abuse. If a guy ever hits me, that's it for the relationship. I believed that abuse should never be tolerated. It signals a lack of basic respect for a fellow human being, regardless of whether you love someone. People are not objects that you can throw around; they will feel pain.

In my mind, I knew you can only change someone only if they feel a sincere need to change themselves. And even then, fundamental beliefs will remain the same. By the age of 18 and beyond, most of the ideas that make you uniquely you has crystallized. Your personality can change but you can change what you believe in easily. I didn't want to enter into any relationship expecting to morph the person I'm with into the ideal I have. I wanted to accept the ones I love, just the way they are.

Maybe it's naive of me to apply this to a company. Do I want to fall in love with it? We no longer live in an age of life-long employment yet I have such fanciful notions of the groups that I belong to. I do not enjoy the act of leaving. I want to be loyal to a cause I believe in. I would not leave because someone offered me a better paying job but I would leave if my company does not show appreciation for who I am and what I do.

Even in a game such as World of Warcraft, I took my guilds very seriously. When I left my previous guild, I was truly unhappy. Then I joined the current one and have stuck with them for the 1+ year ever since. Through the thick and thins, it was a long journey and many of those that I know are no longer even there. Why then do I still stay? In the end, perhaps I am still living in a land of fairies and honor and justice. How do such archaic notions fit in this world?
__________________________________________________________

No comments: