Sunday, October 24, 2004

Anti-social

One thing that couplehood has made me -- anti-social. Having the constant company of someone you enjoy essentially eliminates the need to socialize. It saves me from the need to force a fit into the excruciating pack mentality of the Singaporeans here. I have somebody to be anti-social with. Or you could say we socialize with each other. Having to wade through throngs of Singaporeans and making inane small talk is as appealing as eating a wash cloth. Sometimes, I do feel kinda awkward for being so... alone.

I start wondering about why I wasn't quite like that in JC or sec school. In a way, I was forced to interact with people but I wasn't really unhappy doing it either. It was a pretty fun period -- quite a few intense friendships that I somehow let go for the last few years, lots of silly things done -- every single thing was so dramatic. Isn't it funny that somehow all those people and events nudged me here and there until I'm who I am now? A lot of things appear so insignificant but really, a little act can affect someone else. Kinda like this person who held the door for me at the DBS bank at Coronation Plaza years ago. I don't remember the face or even gender but I always remember the smile he/she brought to my face.

On a side note, I'm suddenly reminded of my primary school classmates. We used to meet up about once a year. These gatherings were usually organized by Chuan Yinn or Jack's mum. Even though I always feel slightly alienated during the gathering itself when they start talking about school (most of them are in a common sec school) and from the subtle cultural differences, I wonder how they are faring.

A couple of them went to an Australian uni so by now they should have graduated. Chuan Yinn went to UK to read medicine. Last I heard, Wai Yan went to a private college (can't remember the name) to read law(?). So what happened to the rest? Like See May the canteen uncle's daughter, or WaiLin (her primary school best friend), or Kok Hou the cheeky monkey. Then again, I don't even know what happened to the few who went to Singapore like Cheng Hou who I know went to NUS but not sure what happened after, Jun Ghee who was my primary school best friend, SyLing I think went to Australia? Not very sure. Incidentally my dad and his dad work in the same company which is how I knew. And how about Jing Biao the king of rope skipping (and chicken wings), Ke Wei and Ai Lian who were inseparable... By now, I've become practically strangers to them -- we could walk past each other in a mall and not know each other. Yet we are linked by this distant but memorable past.

2 comments:

vyanne said...

Ya... so many things have changed, and all the ppl whom we were so close to have changed to ppl whom we may not even have anything in common anymore. But all the past memories will still bind us in some way or another, and that will be the starting point to get to know each other again, if ever we cross our paths in the future. :)

Anonymous said...

Heh, those meetings still occur annually at Jack's place, although these days, its more the parents' meeting than the kids who used to school together daily for 6 long years.

maku (no blogger account)