Thursday, October 07, 2004

Milk Obsession

Well so much for my grand plan to slim down while drinking milk. SUpposedly low-fat means 1/2% - 1%. Gah, my 2% fat milk is "merely" reduced fat. Well, I guess it's a good transition to wean me off whole milk.

The first time I was at the dorm cafeteria, I was quite stunned by the different selections of milk -- whole, 2% milk, 1% milk, skimmed milk. My first reaction was "if it's 2% milk, what's the rest of the 98%? Water?" Well, it did look like diluted milk, fragile and thin. I happily went for my usual whole milk.

Up until, this semester (?) I've been drinking my whole milk happily except once when the expiration date on the 2% was later. In our household, we have a tendency to keep milk till they expire so the date was important. Now that I found out that the nutrition value of low fat milk and whole milk is the same AND more importantly, I can actually increase metabolic rate by getting my daily dose of calcium AND keep the ever looming osteoperosis at bay *rub my hands in glee*... keh keh keh keh!!! For once, something I really like to eat is actually good in everyway. This is an opportunity not to be missed.

When I was staying in hostels where we don't even have communal fridges, we could never buy any consumable that could not be finished in one sitting. So that means no eggs, no milk, no frozen products... Whatever we bought was shared among the four of us. Like the cow cheese thing with eeky mushroom flavored cheese that me and e* finished while walking back from Cold Storage to our place at Eton Hall. Or the dozen of eggs the four of us bought and then cooked to our individual liking -- half-boiled, quarter-boiled or hardboiled. Nothing fancy like scrambled egg since we don't have cooking facilities. The only fried/scrambled eggs we had in those days were the tissue paper egg that came with the tissue paper ham. Those were really great days we shared. We had our fair share of bad days and good ones surely. In the crucible of my reminiscence, all the bad times disappeared. All that is left are the beautiful memories. Well, that and some nasty ones like the old communal fridge we had for a while in Block C that smelt funny. Or the coconut that e* drank that was ....gross. And Ms Warden-who-lives-next-door who dragged Yufen and Chinkit(?) along on her shopping trip.

I'm convinced that because I didn't get my required dose of calcium in my formative years, (I only had enought of grow my big feet and hands) I never grew to my rightful height! Still remember Winston getting freaked out when I bought a carton (1 litre) of milk, gulped it down in half an hour and shortly after complained that I was thirsty. When me and e* went to a nicish cafe near Cold Storage (same as above), I had to order some frothy warm milk instead of something more chic like coffee or camomile tea or something.

No comments: