Monday, October 18, 2004

Thus, a new craving is born.

The garlic with red wine pate Wegmans mind-controlled me to purchase was really yummy. The first time I heard of pate, it was in a RJ play (was it Hedda Gabler?) where the English characters were talking about port and pate. Then Eilene started looking at the canned pates at Cold Storage at Queensway Shopping Center. At that time, I grimaced at the thought of eating ground up pig liver.

Years later, this very summer, I went to a German restaurant, Paulaner Brauhaus, mentioned in this post. They served some lovely creamy pate which I thought tasted like glorified luncheon meat. So this time, when we were at La Petite Auberge in NY, I had to get pate as appetizer as well. This one was chunky with bits of roasted pork bits and some herbs. It was good too. The store bought Wegman's pate was of the creamy variety. There was something familar about it though I can't say what. But I can foresee that a love affair with pate has started. Minced chicken liver, pork and pork fats anyone?

No comments: